Sunday, August 1, 2010

Pre-Fabulous

I've been fascinated by the strides in pre-fab housing ever since I saw The Glidehouse at the Sunset Magazine annual Celebration Weekend in 2006. Aside from how warm a modern home could be, I was impressed with the attention to green detail paid to the design. 

Could this be the solution to our empty nest goals (several years away, mind you) of having a pied a terre in San Francisco and a place near the ocean? My husband and I are both beach lovers--he's a recreational surfer and I just love the mesmerizing and relaxing beat of crashing waves--and the pricing on these pre-fabs are just, well, fabulous.  Compared to buying an existing home on the California coast, it's pretty amazing.

The folks who created the Glidehouse, MK Designs, have now created several new sets of pre-fab, ecologically sound, home plans of varying sizes.  While the pricing of these have yet to be determined, the architect is also working with Bluhomes to create some pretty modestly priced plans that are also quite lovely.  Here's just a smattering of some of the designs they're creating:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment